Prayers for the Brexit situation this weekend
I was praying with our church leaders this morning about the whole Brexit situation. We were very much trying to not take a Political Party or Brexit/Remain position but simply see where our prayers took us. I know that approach wouldn’t be for everyone but for anyone who might find it useful tomorrow, here are some of the places where our prayers took us. Each heading is, probably just a starting point for further prayers.
1. Lord, you have a proven track record of working in human made messy situations for good and for your glory and we ask for you to do this today.
2. We pray for Theresa May and those in power, for clarity of thought and for the greater needs to win over rather than personal political views and career progress tactical positioning.
3. Like Joseph’s role in Egypt we see the potential influence of one person of faith, over and above their current position and title, and we pray for Christians involved in all stages of the process today.
4. To the extent that Britain is still viewed as a Protestant Christian Country, we pray that your name and reputation will not be caught up with any negative associations, throughout this process by those in our neighbouring nations and beyond. We recognise that behind the complexity of the Irish Border question, there is a long history of disagreement and conflict between people who call you Lord and Saviour. We pray that the progress and peace established there will not be undone.
5. We pray for ‘Shalom’ in our nation – recognising that within ‘Shalom’ is more than a prayer for peace, it is a prayer also for well-being in hearts and homes, for good to come, for the atmosphere to be changed for the better, for the many other needs in our nation to not get lost and for blessing.